Basic Fluency System — $1495
Easy-to-use DAF/FAF device for face-to-face conversations or telephone calls. Many states provide the Basic Fluency System free to qualified residents.
Altered Auditory Feedback (AAF) Features
The Basic Fluency System provides two or three types of altered auditory feedback (AAF).
- Delayed auditory feedback (DAF) immediately reduces stuttering about 70% at normal speaking rates without training, mental effort, or abnormal-sounding or abnormally slow speech. 55% carryover fluency after removing the device, without speech therapy. With speech therapy, DAF can induce a slower speaking rate with stretched vowels to make even severe stutterers nearly 100% fluent.
- Pitch-shifting frequency-shifted auditory feedback (FAF) immediately reduces stuttering about 70% at normal speaking rates and induces speech motor changes in stutterers. Only Casa Futura Technologies stuttering treatment devices have octave-scale FAF downshifting (pitch shifting). Combining DAF and FAF increases effectiveness.
- Optional ($25 additional) manual sine wave masking auditory feedback (MAF) pulls stutterers out of silent blocks at the touch of a button.
Headsets and Earsets
The Basic Fluency System works with all standard headphones and microphones. Two headsets and earsets are provided:
- The Logitech H110 full-size headset gives you the best sound quality and maximizes the SmallTalk’s effectiveness. By using the full-size headset on telephone calls, in speech therapy, and in stressful conversations such as public speaking, you’ll maximize carryover fluency and not need to use the device for lower-stress conversations. The full-size headset also allows listeners to try your SmallTalk to hear what it sounds like. Then they’ll want to talk to you about stuttering and you’ll discover that there’s no reason to be ashamed or embarrassed about your speech.
- A Plantronics MX100S binaural (two ear) wired iPod-style earset is included. These sound good, are comfortable, and are simple and easy to use. Any other standard wired earset can be used.
Background Noise Rejection
The Logitech H110 headset has a noise-canceling microphone to eliminate noise at the source. Electronic circuits filter high-frequency noise above your vocal range. Moderate (-0.4 octave) FAF effectively reduces stuttering yet is acoustically transparent if the device picks up background noise. An optional throat microphone eliminates background noise even in extreme conditions.
The Basic Fluency System plugs into telephones. You hear your voice and the caller’s voice in both ears; the caller hears your normal voice. Leave your Basic Fluency System plugged into your telephone and practice speech therapy on every call. Many states provide the Basic Fluency System free to qualified residents who stutter.
The Basic Fluency System can be used with cellphones. Older cellphones with a standard 2.5mm three-conductor earset jack plug directly into the Basic Fluency System. Newer cellphones with other earset jacks, such as the 3.5mm four-conductor jack on iPhones and other smartphones, require an adapter. Adapters are easily available for all types of cellphones.
Evidence and Clinical Trials
Two studies investigated the Basic Fluency System:
- Eleven adults, from very mild to severe, used a Basic Fluency System. In oral reading, DAF/FAF reduced stuttering 62%. Three DAF/FAF settings were tested in conversations. At the maximum settings DAF/FAF reduced stuttering 49%; the minimum settings reduced stuttering 27%. 1
- A Basic Fluency System set at 75 ms DAF and -0.5 octaves FAF reduced stuttering on average 44%, for eight adults, in monologue speaking, without speech therapy. The device had greater relative effectiveness for severe stutterers. 2
- DAF range 30 milliseconds to 200 milliseconds. User-adjustable.
- FAF range: 0, -0.4, -0.8 octaves (three settings). User-adjustable.
- Binaural (two ear) or monaural (one ear) sound. Binaural sound is 25% more effective than monaural sound and is recommended for severe stutterers; mild stutterers may be able to use monaural sound.
- 35-7500 Hz frequency range clearly reproduces all vocal frequencies of adults and children.
- 9-volt battery last about 15 hours. AC adapter (included) doesn’t charge the battery.
- Black case, with belt clip.
- Two 3.5mm jacks for any standard microphone and headphones. One 2.5mm jack for any standard cellphone earset.
- 4.5″ x 2.7″ x 0.9″ (11.5 cm x 7 cm x 2 cm); about the size of an iPod.
- 4.6 ounces (130 grams).
What’s in the Box
- Basic Fluency System
- Logitech H110 binaural (two ears) lightweight headset
- Plantronics MX100S binaural (two ears) earset
- Telephone cable
- AC adapter (doesn’t charge battery). Tell us if you need 220-volt European, British, or Australian plugs.
Basic Fluency System Reviews
- Michelle Lincoln, Ann Packman, Mark Onslow, Mark Jones, “An experimental investigation of the effect of AAF on the conversational speech of adults who stutter,” Journal of Speech, Language, and Hearing Research, October 2010, 53: 1122-1131. ↩
- Antipova, E., Purdy, S., Blakeley, M., & Williams, S. (2008) “Effects of altered auditory feedback (AAF) on stuttering frequency during monologue speech production,” Journal of Fluency Disorders, 33:4, December 2008, 274-290. ↩
Submit your review
[The Basic Fluency System] helps me so much when it comes to making phone calls and talking on the phone. I achieve perfect fluency about 90% of the time. The rest of the time I can still get out of a stutter more easily. However I don't like to wear it when I'm speaking in person because it is very loud and uncomfortable. Also it is big and bulky and kinda embarassing. I every little noise is magnefied. I prefer just using it for phonecalls. Even though it works just as well when i wear it and speak to people in person. I have heard of people that use devices consistently when they first purchase them and then the effects start to wear off. I have not had this problem because i only wear it during phone calls and when i really need it. It costs $1500.00 insurance covers it however it is a very slow process I bought mine in may of 2007 and I am still waiting to get reimbursed from the insurance company.
You've done a great job on the DVD and the book. You have a good combination
of research along with your own experience. The device that we got is well thought out and well made.
The customer who is currently using the DAF with the wires says that the unit has profoundly changed his life! (The guy was in tears over the phone when he told me this.)
Kathryn Rambo, Wisconsin Universalink
She added that the customer is a tough "biker"!